Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Back to School!

Hi Everyone!

Last evening was the first orientation session. Wow!! There are 29 students, one of the smallest classes they have ever had (I'm grateful for that!). What an impressive, diverse group! Two medical doctors (including Dr. Sanjay Gupta... but not THAT Sanjay Gupta), a bunch of yoga instructors, body workers, intuitive and alternative healers, a couple nurses, and a few others like me who just felt called in a different direction. Ages range from recent college grads to retirees. Several international students, from India, Mexico, Peru, Slovakia and Switzerland. About an even split male-female. The staff and instructors are awesome, and my fellow students are all so open and awake and shine so brightly. Their stories about what brought them here are as diverse as their colors, shapes and sizes. But we all have one thing in common - the pull to do this was irresistible; we all felt guided to do this at this time. Ellie, our education administrator, told us last night, "...the planet needs what you'll be learning here". I feel that to be true to my very core.

The evening began with a homa (fire ceremony) and a beautiful Sanskrit chant for healing. Then they served chai and cookies (!!) before we got down to business, learning about what's ahead of us and taking care of logistics.

This morning was the yoga assessment. The objective was to watch us move and do asanas, and we will be placed in one of two classes, based on our level. I hope to be with the yoga instructors, but hard to say where they will draw the line for "intermediates" like me. There are not too many, if any, beginners here. I trust I will end up where I belong.

The weather is crisp today, fall is in the air. The sky over Albuquerque was full of balloons this morning as I drove to school - the balloon fiesta is still in full swing through this weekend. A man fell out of a balloon yesterday as it took off and ended up in serious condition in the hospital, then the balloon crash landed and the pilot was injured too, but not seriously. Dangerous sport - I don't think I'll take up hot air ballooning any time soon. I did ride in one in Colorado Springs many years ago, however, and it was an incredible experience!

I learned this morning about a huge open space area with hiking trails and a waterfall (a New Mexico waterfall, we were warned - I guess that means it's not Multnomah Falls) just on the outskirts of town. I think I'll take advantage of the fall weather and go for a brisk hike before I have to be back at school this evening.

Many blessings to all! I'll send pictures of the school soon...


1 comment:

  1. This is so you. Enjoy the journey for you deserve it. I so wish I could have seen the balloon festival. Maybe next year...right.
    love ya
    Renee

    ReplyDelete