I am in an environment that is a literal smorgasbord of options for attending seminars (in addition to my regular classes) about all manner of things Ayurvedic, spiritual and esoteric. Last weekend I attended a seminar on the ancient texts of Ayurveda, which went all the way back to the Rig Veda (somewhere between 1700 and 1100 BC -- that's old!). In fact many scholars believe it goes back even further, but that cannot be verified. It was dense stuff, but fascinating.
I continue to be intrigued and amazed at the depth and logic of the science of Ayurveda. I am learning SO MUCH, and what I've learned so far barely scratches the surface of what there is to know. I love it, and I am so grateful to be here.
Despite the fact that I love what I'm doing and I know I am where I am supposed to be at this time in my life, I do still get homesick. Sometimes just a little homesick, sometimes very homesick. I miss my friends and loved ones, I miss my cats, I miss having a place to call home, and I miss Oregon. But I don't dwell on these things. This is a time of great change and transition for me, and I find the journey fascinating. I have faith that I'm headed where I'm supposed to be headed, I just don't know yet where that is! Do any of us ever know? And do we ever get there? I don't think so - it's all about the journey.
For my yogi friends -- I'm learning so many new things in my AyurYoga classes! Wow! Right now we are learning to tune in to the qualities of the 5 elements in our bodies through asana (the 5 elements being earth, water, fire, air and space). It's very subtle work and takes concentration and focus. So far we've worked through earth and water. Oh, the water asanas are delicious!! Try this: Sit on the floor in something close to a lotus position, back to back with a partner. Now close your eyes and start moving fluidly, envisioning that you are a plant on the ocean floor, moving with the currents. Sometimes your movements will be delightfully in sync with your partner, sometimes not. The idea is to move where your prana directs you to move. I found it to be a very sensual, very calming and blissful experience. I love this asana. Try it and let me know what you think!
So why are we focusing on the 5 elements in yoga? Well, it's more complicated than I can easily explain, given my limited knowledge at this point, but I will try. The elements are all related to the different doshas (vata, pitta, kapha). Yoga is a very effective tool for balancing the doshas when things are out of whack. For example, when vata is high (vata being related to the elements of air and ether, or space), a person needs grounding (water and earth). Everyone has high vata fairly frequently, regardless of your prakruti (your unique composition of doshas) because we live in such a vata-aggravating culture. Moving fast, lots to do, multi-tasking, lack of sleep, emotional upheaval, etc. etc., etc. Vata is the first to go out of balance, because it's so subtle (air & ether), and the easiest to restore to balance. In Ayurveda, opposite qualities are used therapeutically to balance body, mind and spirit. So - vata is out of whack, we recommend a grounding asana practice, heavier foods, a consistent routine, rest, avoidance of excessive sensory stimulation, oil massage, mindfulness practices like meditation, etc. etc. It's all common sense, really. The trick is to catch the imbalance as it's happening and to know what to do about it (and be willing to do it). If things stay out of balance too long, bad things happen - like disease.
Speaking of seminars -- next weekend I'm attending a seminar for women about balancing hormones through yoga and Ayurvedic principles. It will be taught by one of my beloved instructors, a wise and wonderful woman who is a doctor of both Ayurveda and Chinese medicine, and a certified Anusara instructor who has a studio here in ABQ. I am really looking forward to it!
I could talk all night, but my eyes are getting heavy. More later... and love to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment